TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR • FOR 8 PEOPLE
This soup is a guilt-free, low-calorie comfort food. The fragrant curry powder helps aid digestion and may even boost your immune system.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups (8 ounces) dried red lentils, picked
- 3/4 pound (about 5 medium carrots), cut into
- 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in curry powder, turmeric and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
- Add the lentils and 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Skim to remove foam; simmer lentils, partially covered, 20 minutes. Add carrots and simmer, partially covered, until tender, about 15 minutes longer.
- Puree the soup in a blender, working in batches, and return to the saucepan.
- Reheat soup over medium heat, stirring, until heated through. Stir in lime juice and chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add extra water if the soup is too thick. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro sprigs.
PER SERVING 285 calories, 4g fat (0.5g saturated fat), 16g protein, 75mg sodium, 46g carbohydrates, 6g fibre, 8.5g sugars (0g added sugars), 0 mg of cholesterol