Skip to content
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 cups fresh spinach
- juice of half a lime
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 4.5 oz canned chopped green chiles
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 28 oz can green enchilada sauce
- 8 burrito size flour tortillas
- 4 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese, divided
- Optional toppings: additional cilantro, green onions, olives, avocado
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onions until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add minced garlic to skillet and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook down until wilted. Add the lime juice, cilantro, chiles, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and cumin. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Remove skillet from heat and mix in the cream cheese, sour cream, 2 cups of the cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour about ⅓ of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Spoon about ⅓ cup of spinach filling into a tortilla, roll tightly, and place in the baking dish seam side down. Repeat until dish is full.
- Top the rolled enchiladas with the remaining sauce (you may have sauce leftover) and sprinkle the remaining 2 cups of cheese on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and the sauce begins to bubble.
- Serve warm and top with desired garnishes.