TOTAL TIME: 2 HOURS • FOR 10 PEOPLE
To make this dish a snap, use the grating blade of a food processor to prep the vegetables for the stuffing.
- 10 large tomatoes
- 2 zucchini, grated
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 potato, grated
- 1/4 cup short grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Use a serrated knife to slice off 1/4 inch from the top of each tomato; put aside. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh of the tomatoes and coarsely chop them. Transfer to a large bowl. Arrange the tomatoes in a large baking dish.
- In the large bowl with the tomato flesh, stir in the zucchini, onion, potato, rice, parsley, mint, oregano and garlic. Add 1/4 cup oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Divide the filling among all the tomatoes, place on top and drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup oil. Pour 1 cup of water into the baking dish and cook for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Cover the dish with foil and continue cooking until the rice is cooked through, about 1 hour, adding more water if the baking dish dries out.
- Remove from oven. Remove the foil and let the tomatoes rest for 10 minutes. Add a spoonful of yogurt before serving.
PER SERVING 225 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 6g protein, 215mg sodium, 26g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 7g sugars (0g added sugars), 0mg cholesterol