Total time: 10 minutes Makes: 2 servings
➜ Sweet strawberries add a pink hue to this smoothie bowl, but it’s not just a pretty dish. Flaxseeds add ALA, which provides antioxidants and helps block the growth of certain cancers. In addition, flaxseeds help lower cholesterol levels and relieve constipation.
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- Blend frozen strawberries, yogurt, oats, water, flax seeds and banana in a blender until smooth. Divide between two bowls.
- Top each bowl with 2 tbsp sliced strawberries, 1 tbsp chopped pistachios, 1 tbsp coconut, 1/2 tsp chia seeds, 1/2 tsp flax seeds and half the banana slices. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING: 278 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 12g protein, 27mg sodium, 36g carbs, 15g sugars (0g added sugar), 8g fiber
You can use whole flax seeds or ground flax seeds in this recipe. In any case, store it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh longer; ground flaxseeds will last six months and whole flaxseeds will last a year. It also makes a healthy addition to baked goods.